A phone call is often the first step in the hiring process. Making a great impression is vital to making it to the next round of interviews – and with a little preparation, you can increase your chances of success. Here are some phone interview tips.
- Schedule it. Work with your BravoTECH Recruiter to schedule either a specific time or a window of time for the call. This will allow you to be fully prepared and avoid playing phone tag with your interviewer.
- Charge it and set a reminder. Make sure your phone is charged and set a reminder so you are on time.
- Check your voicemail message. Make sure your voicemail message is courteous and professional.
- Prepare others. Make sure roommates or family members are aware of the scheduled call so you won’t have any interruptions.
- Silence your environment. Take care of any potential distractions such as a barking dog or television in advance.
- Don’t put the interviewer on hold. Never interrupt your conversation with an interviewer to answer another call.
- Review your research. Have your notes about the company and the job description, as well as a copy of your resume, in front of you during the call for reference.
- Stand up. Try standing up during a phone interview. It will energize you, and that energy will be projected through your voice.
- Take notes. Jot down any new information you receive and make a note of any follow-up actions that are required, such as a request for more information or the date and time of your next interview. Make a note of anything that seems important to the interviewer for future reference (skills, start-date, etc.).
- Ask about next steps. As the call is wrapping up, ask when you can expect to hear back about scheduling a video or in-person interview. Express your interest in the position and ask if the interviewer feels you are a good fit.
- Call your recruiter. Let them know how the phone interview went and what next steps were discussed.
- Send a thank you note. Our final phone interview tip is to send a note to your interviewer immediately – an email is sufficient. Here are some tips for composing a great thank you note.
The phone interview is a great opportunity to sell yourself as knowledgeable, enthusiastic and willing to find out more about the position. If the company invites you to an in-person interview, you can read these tips to make your best impression. Your BravoTECH recruiter is also a great resource when preparing for video and in-person interviews. Good luck!
Connect With Us